Saturday, March 19, 2011

The Life of a Slave...



Olaudah Equiano, an Ibo from Nigeria, was just 11 years old when he was kidnapped into slavery. He was held captive in West Africa for seven months and then sold to British slavers, who shipped him to Barbados and then took him to Virginia. After serving a British naval officer, he was sold to a Quaker merchant from Philadelphia who allowed him to purchase his freedom in 1766. In later life, he played an active role in the movement to abolish the slave trade.
Kidnapped
(read the entire excerpt here)
shackles used to chain slaves together
One day, when all our people were gone out to their works as usual, and only I and my dear sister were left to mind the house, two men and a woman got over our walls, and in a moment seized us both; and, without giving us time to cry out, or make resistance, they stopped our mouths, and ran off with us into the nearest wood. Here they tied our hands, and continued to carry us as far as they could, till night came on, when we reached a small house, where the robbers halted for refreshment, and spent the night. We were then unbound; but were unable to take any food; and, being quite overpowered by fatigue and grief, our only relief was some sleep, which allayed our misfortune for a short time.
The Middle Passage:
(read the entire excerpt here)
Olaudah Equiano vividly recounts the shock and isolation that he felt during the Middle Passage to Barbados and his fear that the European slavers would eat him.
diagram of slaves packed into ship`s hold
The stench of the hold while we were on the coast was so intolerably loathsome, that it was dangerous to remain there for any time...some of us had been permitted to stay on the deck for the fresh air. But now that the whole ship's cargo were confined together, it became absolutely pestilential. The closeness of the place and the heat of the climate, added to the number of the ship, which was so crowded that each had scarcely room to turn himself, almost suffocated us.
Every circumstance I met with, served only to render my state more painful and heightened my apprehensions and my opinion of the cruelty of the whites.
Arrival in the new world
(read the entire excerpt here)
Olaudah Equiano offers a first- hand account of his arrival in the West Indies in 1756.
waiting to be sold
We were not many days in the merchant's custody, before we were sold after their usual manner...On a signal given, (as the beat of a drum), buyers rush at once into the yard where the slaves are confined, and make a choice of that parcel they like best. The noise and clamour with which this is attended, and the eagerness visible in the countenances of the buyers, serve not a little to increase the apprehension of terrified Africans...In this manner, without scruple, are relations and friends separated, most of them never to see each other again. I remember in the vessel in which I was brought over...there were several brothers who, in the sale, were sold in different lots; and it was very moving on this occasion, to see and hear their cries in parting.
Response:
Olaudah Equiano would not have had access to material to write a diary but imagine what he might have written in his diary if he had had the opportunity. Choose one section of the journey into slavery given above and write a journal entry as if you were Olauda Equiano. This writting task asks you to put yourself in his shoes - to write from his perspective. Remember to support your writing with details from the story or other historical facts you know from this time period.

12 comments:

  1. dear journal today i was kidnapped with know idea where i was going i had thoughts going through my mind why would they want me, why was i the one being kidnapped. after awhile they shackled me too make sure i would not try to run away. night time came and we spent the night at some random house with no food or water and plead on the next day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. dear diary,
    i am frightened. never before had i dreamed that while my family was gone out to their works would i have been kidnapped. my day started out as it normally did, my sister and i went to play with the other children while i kept watch, not noticing anything out of the ordinary. if i would have known then what i know now i would have kept a closer eye on things when i was minding the house. i do not know where i am now except that it is a small house in the woods, how far into the woods though i do not know. i am so tired and drowsy that i barely can remember what happened. there was two men and a woman... yes one of the men is keeping watch over me and my sister while the other two are asleep. our mouths and hands are no longer bound, for how long will they be free i do not know. questions keep running through my mind: are our parents home yet wondering where we are? will they be worried? out looking for us? surely they are. what is going to happen to me and my sister? i cannot answer any of these questions. i guess i will not know, will just have to wait and see what tomorrow will be like.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Journal,
    It is April 9, We just landed in a strange land. With many white people. Many on board with us are sick or have died. It was a horrible journey, 7 weeks and three days, I counted everyday waiting to get to land. The conditions were terrible no proper food, no where to go to the bathroom. We were literally laying in our waste. But now that we are at this strange land I don't know what to think there are many africans already here. They tell us that we have have to work for the white people. It doesn't sound all that bad just working. but I think there is something more to it than that. We will find out soon I guess. I miss my family, my country, and my friends. I hope this nightmare is over soon I am not sure if I can stand it much longer. Olauduh Equiano

    ReplyDelete
  4. As we neared the Shore there were many other ships with different flags, from many different places.Soon, after we had anchored, White men came and examined us, made as jump and pointed to the strange town, telling us that we were to go there, I thought i was to be eaten. After that we were all put down under deck, where the strange white men got some slaves to pacify us, and to my happiness we were not to be eaten by the white men, but only to work for them, after that we went to land, and sure enough there were many Africans of man languages.We were then put into a yard where we were packed like animals, every object was so strange to me, the houses built of a red rock, Men on big brown, black, and white animals, i thought that these men were full of nothing but Magical Arts. Not many days later, the signal to start buying us, Negroes, as they called us. The noise and clamor, The eagerness of the White men, the terrified look of al the Africans, and the separation of friends and family, most never to see each other again, the cries, I cannot get it out of my head, so here I will lay, until iI fall into a troubled sleep.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Arrival In The New World
    Dear Journal,
    We finally landed at the shore today. I thought that awful ship ride would never end. These white men are getting stranger and more terrifying to me by each passing day. I just know that they are going to try to eat us. They haven't shown us any human decency since they kidnapped me in the first lace. The other black people here are helpful, telling us what we need to know, and it is comforting that there are many other blacks to help us get through this. However it is a very horrible thing that we all have to be here. I just wish I could go back home.

    ReplyDelete
  6. dear journal,
    today we woke up thinking it was just another day of living in these horrid conditions, we were wrong. we were woken up by the white people and shuffled to the top deck. the white men told us we were to be sold. it was terrifying not knowing exactly what was going on or how we would be treated after we got sold off . i can only pray it will get much better than this. its been horrible on this ship. im sore, sick, hungry and lack much sleep,ive considered actually jumping over the edge, but the white men are making sure we dont. i miss my friend and family so much. i dont know why they want us or how much longer we will be treated like this. i also dont know how much more i can take. heres hoping for a better day tomorrow .

    olauduh equiano,

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear Diary:
    My travel across the ocean today was horrible. I got whipped several times for not eating. Everything I see happening is horrific and I don't even know what to think, I just take it all in. I feel alone and terrified all I can think about is escaping but then i think about the consequences I might not live another day. The white people are such savages and I feel like I'm going to get killed I have come to the realization that I will never return to my home land, I might never see my family again. It is so crowded and I feel like in suffocating, I hate it here. I don't know what to expect now that we are approaching the harbor, I am very scared to find out.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The kidnapping-

    Dear diary, today was a very frightful day for me and my sister. While my family was out at work and me and my sister were at the house by ourselves, intruders got over our walls and before we knew it, they had us deep in the woods tied up. We had no time to resist or escape these awful people and seek help. As it got darker we reached a small house, where the intruders who took my sister and I took a break and refreshed. They untied me and my sister , but these crude people didn't allow us any food. After this long horrible day, our only relief was sleep. Im very scared to find out what is yet to come. But I have to stay strong and try my best to protect my sister and I.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dear Journal,
    Today it's August 17 and its hotter then it has been the entire time here. The ship ride is terrible i feel motion sick and the stench is is terrible. Today when they brought out the food i couldn't eat it with the smell. Days seem to pass day by day but we never seem to be closer. I dont know exactly where were going exactly but it cant be worse then this boat. We lay her with nothing to do, sitting in our own waste and its terrible. Other people are starting to get week. Today the guy i have been travling with got really sick and they took him up to the main deck. Im so tired, nights are long with the moaning, and coughing. I just hope tonight will be different and i will sleep good.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dear Journal,
    As we near the shore people started to get more and more anxious. Trying to see where they are going to be placed next. And if they are going to be able to see there loved ones again. The conditions now on the boat are repulsive. There are feces on the floor. The smell made me sick to my stomach. It's just plain nasty down here. Some people are trying to get up to the main deck to get away from the nasty stench but they are just sending them back down. They do let the younger children go up. They forced me to eat today, got whipped because of it. Never have went through this much pain before. I really hope me and my sister stay together i don't know what i would do if i don't have her by my side. I just hope things change for the better. Good Night.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dear, Diary:
    Today as i was helping with my chores around the house with my sister strange men came in and grabbed us. I cant help thinking that i will never see my family again, and i don't want them to be in as much pain as i am. I have not eaten for several days. They brought me to a house where i am waiting to be shipped somewhere and sold! i will get out some day and find my sister i just got to wait for the right time.

    ReplyDelete